Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mount of Olives







Saturday Aaron and I went into Jerusalem to see the Mount of Olives. Much to my surprise (and joy), I met Kojak the camel. Kojak is a very gentle and obedient camel who graciously turn slightly to his side inviting me to come aboard...which I did with great enthusiasm! Kojak's owner took me along the Mount of Olives and pointed out to Aaron the best shots to take ..."take this one with the whole city in the distance". After my ride we took in more of the scenery, were approached by a young man who showed us the old coins he had found on the side of the mountain below the Jerusalem wall opposite of where we stood. I kept waiting for him to suggest that I purchase a coin or two (widow's mite, Roman coins). He finally came to the sales pitch, which I graciously declined.

Across from the Mt of olives (across the Kitron (?) Valley you will see the Old city of Jerusalem and the temple mount. We then went to the road below the city and faced the Mt of olives. Here, you can see various burial sites and caves that are dug into the rock. among the artifacts are: The Tomb of Zechariah which is a 5x5 square structure with Ionic Columns, crowned with a pyramid. You can also see (on a separate photo) the Pillar of Absalom. This structure is 20m high, has Ionic Columns and is capped by a Doric frieze (conical top). Behind this structure is the cave of Jehoshaphat.

1 comment: